Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Techy Tests

A lot of people have asked me about how to create a technological way to facilitate read aloud accommodations, so I want to address that and share ideas.  I also wanted to share some alternative assessment ideas aside from traditional paper and pencil tests.  

I created a blog post about Read & Write, which is a Google Chrome extension that can be used to read aloud text on any Google Drive apps.  Check that post out on our Tech Times blog.   

I gathered alternative test ideas on a Pinterest board.  Hope you find some good ideas!  :)

I want to highlight Plickers!!!! This is an alternative form of assessment, or a great test review tool that I wanted to share. It's similar to Kahoot, except with Plickers, every student can choose and respond with their own answer, versus having to share devices. Students use unique codes, similar to QR codes, to show their answer to a multiple choice question. The teacher uses their iPhone or iPad to scan the classes responses. The data is automatically collected, and immediate feedback is shown. Just download the free app and print the free cards from the Plickers website. Responses can all be anonymous, or you can add your class roster. Also check out the video tutorial below to learn all about Plickers!

Check out what Plickers looks like in use in a classroom:


The video below explains how Plickers works, and it shows you how to set up your account and create the tests.



I also want to talk about how cool Infographics are to make! You've seen them all over Pinterest and in news and online articles, I'm sure. They look so professional when they're completed. Check out Canva as a free site and app for making infographics. Piktochart is also a good site for creating professional looking infographics. You could make infographics to provide information for students or parents, but students could also make an infographic as a culmination to a unit.  See the infographic about infographics from infographiclabs.

I also think it's always easy to create an ebook about a unit that your students have just completed. Students could use educreations, or Story Book Creator, etc. to write, draw, and speak about what they've learned. You can learn a lot about what they did and didn't learn for these types of projects! I have used one of these apps as part of a station in math, and I'd give certain criteria or vocabulary words that they must include in their project. A rubric would also be useful to set the bar high and encourage students to include specific concepts.

Please share your thoughts or ideas about any alternative tests or culminating assessments that you have used, or you have heard about! If you have had a great experience with students using a techy or alternative assessment, please send me a picture or video, or share however you want, so we can all learn from YOU! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment