Friday, March 31, 2017

Digital Fluency: Sketchnoting Notes ~ 3/31/17

Sketchnoting, a.k.a. visual note-taking = doodling while listening to something interesting.

Why?
A combination of visuals and text is more powerful than just visuals and just words.
Here's the link to a great article about the "why" & the "how" - Sketchnotes: The What, Why, and How of Visual Note-Taking

How?
Paper or pencil or make it digital!  There are many free apps, and quality iPad stylusessssessen...  styli??  (Pause for a quick Google search... )  Wikipedia says... "stylusplural styli or styluses, is a writing utensil, or a small tool for some other form of marking or shaping, for example in pottery."


Below is a 3 minute instructional video about what, why, and how to do sketchnoting:


My first attempt:  I was given a noun and an adjective, and I had to draw a visual representation of the object.  I tried it on paper and then on my iPhone using the free Paper 53 app.  The app allowed me to draw on my phone, and then I took a picture of the paper drawing I created.  See below... you may laugh.


My second attempt required me to create a visual representation to explain the meaning of a word.  This activity reminds me of SIOP/ELL strategies and the Frayer Model.


Sylvia Duckworth is the queen of Sketchnoting!  She makes great visual and textual representations to communicate.  Follow her on Twitter: @sylviaduckworth or on Google +Sylvia Duckworth.  Her sketchnoting is shared all over Twitter.  She's even written a book on sketchnoting!

My third attempt was more intense.  We watch a short video clip twice.  Here's my first actual sketchnoting creation!  


I promise it'd make more sense if you saw the video.  I am a terrible artist.  Give me a computer and I can put together something attractive, but with pen and paper... ouch, it's a different story.  However, it was fun to get messy and give it a try!  I enjoyed sketchnoting, and I think adults, and STUDENTS will too!




No comments:

Post a Comment